Monday, November 20, 2006

New Band, Same Hair

Anybody remember that Whitesnake song Still of the Night? Particularly the part in the middle of the song when the cello (it was probably a synthesizer, actually) starts playing that part that goes . . . buhbuh buhbuh buhbuh buhbuh . . . bah buhbuh buhbuh buhbuh . . . and on the video David Coverdale is leaning way back in sillouette fashion and just belting it out? That was SO FREAKING AWESOME! Or at least that was what I thought the last time I saw it back in 1985. Oh by the way, I'm old.

But the point is this: When I was young I thought being a rock star would be a pretty cool occupation. And I doubt that, had I managed to become one, I would have been disappointed. I mean, at the very least, it seemed like a good way to get girls to like you, which was something I pretty much sucked at. Unfortunately, rock stardom was not in the cards for me. But I have only recently been fortunate enough to get involved in a band. And now, even more recently, I've gotten involved in a second band. I enjoy both bands, but they're different stylistically. The first band I joined plays music on the heavy end of the musical spectrum. And I totally enjoy it. It's not the kind of music many of my friends are into, but once upon a time I was really into it. I guess to a degree, I still am. Plus it's pretty fun to play in that "guitar hero" sort of way. The new band is different. We have one or two heavy songs, but they're kind of catchy. And that's really what distinguishes all our songs so far: they're catchy. Now, don't confuse catchy with poppy. Our songs aren't poppy, they're definitely in the rock and roll genre, but most of them have a pretty good hook. And for the most part we've chosen covers that have hooks, too. So even though we're still pretty rough around the edges, if I had to choose between listening to a recording of us or, say, a train slamming on the brakes and skidding for half a mile before ramming into semi-trailer full of coked-up howler monkeys, I'd pick us eight times out of ten.

Ringing endorsement, I know. Luckily, we're playing in a week, so for those of you who suspect the latter scenario (train, brakes, howler monkeys) would actually be preferable, now's your chance to find out for yourselves. How could you possibly resist after all this? Here's the scoop: Mario's Kellar (downstairs from the Gasthof in NE Minnepolis), Thursday, December 28th, 9:30. We'll play for an hour. If they don't kick us off the stage. Hope to see you there. Leave the monkeys at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home